24 replies to this topic

#16 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Probably Frank. I've come to the conclusion it's my graphics card. The games that won't play, have a history of not liking AMD cards. I've downloaded multiple games now, and only those few don't work. I'll just wait until I switch back to a Geforce next month.
‎"Listen to this, okay? Just listen. You hear that? That's market bacon hitting the pan. Today a child is born unto us, and his name will be bacon"

#17 BrikHaus

BrikHaus

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(TheSmalHobbit @ May 19 2012, 03:15 PM) View Post
Probably Frank. I've come to the conclusion it's my graphics card. The games that won't play, have a history of not liking AMD cards. I've downloaded multiple games now, and only those few don't work. I'll just wait until I switch back to a Geforce next month.

I'm with you in that I'd never buy another Radeon card. That said, if you are still under warranty I would recommend taking it up with ibuypower. They should provide some level of support and offer to exchange the machine or give a refund if you haven't had it long. If it's a lemon the best thing you can do is return it and buy from someone more reputable. If I remember correctly Shiva had issues with ibuypower and ended up going with Alienware.

Just my two cents.

--Brik

#18 bear

bear

bear stealth mode enabled

• Sponsors
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, IDPA, Multi-Gun, photography, computers, motorcycling.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

Yes, driver sweeper is a program. Sorry to here it messed it up for you. I have not had issues with it.
I agree with brik, if you spend good money on a computer it needs to do what you bought it for at the least.
It may be a hassle to return it but you will be happier in the end.
"Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean. Cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

#19 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Eh, it's playing every single game except for 2. Now that I've got connection to a MUCH faster internet for the weekend, I was able to download about 18 others and test them. They all work. Just not Space Marine and Darkness 2. And I was going to upgrade anyways, I want EVERYTHING in max specs lol. Plus I'd be without a computer for however many weeks it takes for another computer. That unhappiness would vastly outweigh getting 2 games to work XD. And I should've known this in the first place, AMD cards are widely known for preforming well, but not liking many games. So I don't think it's an iBuyPower problem, but more of a card. I get three checks next month, I'll be able to afford it. My problem will that I'll be getting something my power supply won't like lol
‎"Listen to this, okay? Just listen. You hear that? That's market bacon hitting the pan. Today a child is born unto us, and his name will be bacon"

#20 bear

bear

bear stealth mode enabled

• Sponsors
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, IDPA, Multi-Gun, photography, computers, motorcycling.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

Dont cha just love the three check months!!! I dont count them in my budget so they are mad money for me...what to buy? what to buy?
"Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean. Cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

#21 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(bear @ May 20 2012, 03:31 PM) View Post
Dont cha just love the three check months!!! I dont count them in my budget so they are mad money for me...what to buy? what to buy?

Um, graphics card. Diablo 3. Guild Wars 2. Rent and utilities. Then 2 checks to play with.

#22 ShadowSpawnOFCS

ShadowSpawnOFCS

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Computers, Woodworking

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

As Brik said, and I can't stress it enough, make certain that any non-AMD utilities are uninstalled. I didn't just have to disable ASUS GamerOSD, I had to fully uninstall it to get rid of a driver it set up. see http://fnfonline.com...?showtopic=9655 I will admit a significant portion of my posting motivation is another chance to complain about that issue. smile.gif

That said, and not that I care or have any investment in the NVidia v AMD issue, but I have used ATI/AMD since my EISA-bus days, and have always had great luck. I wonder if the issue(s) your having is like mine -- not an AMD issue as much as a manufacturer one. Who makes your card? My ASUS Radon 6900 HD works amazingly...without the crappy ASUS software installed. I know AMD and NVidia publish reference designs, but companies are allowed to play with them; sometimes it goes well, others not so much. I've heard good things about EVGA and ASUS in general. Just saying be a little careful; if it's an AMD issue then NVidia may be the solution, but if it's an EVGA/ASUS/PNY/VisionTek issue, it may follow you. :} Just a thought...

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come. -- Matt Groening

#23 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(ShadowSpawnOFCS @ Jun 25 2012, 11:22 PM) View Post
As Brik said, and I can't stress it enough, make certain that any non-AMD utilities are uninstalled. I didn't just have to disable ASUS GamerOSD, I had to fully uninstall it to get rid of a driver it set up. see http://fnfonline.com...?showtopic=9655 I will admit a significant portion of my posting motivation is another chance to complain about that issue. smile.gif

That said, and not that I care or have any investment in the NVidia v AMD issue, but I have used ATI/AMD since my EISA-bus days, and have always had great luck. I wonder if the issue(s) your having is like mine -- not an AMD issue as much as a manufacturer one. Who makes your card? My ASUS Radon 6900 HD works amazingly...without the crappy ASUS software installed. I know AMD and NVidia publish reference designs, but companies are allowed to play with them; sometimes it goes well, others not so much. I've heard good things about EVGA and ASUS in general. Just saying be a little careful; if it's an AMD issue then NVidia may be the solution, but if it's an EVGA/ASUS/PNY/VisionTek issue, it may follow you. :} Just a thought...

It's actually a CPU problem. The card is fine, and I fully got rid of the AUS GamerOSD. I went through and lurked through forums about the CPU, and I found all over that while AMD GPU is really good, AMD CPU is typically lacking. I'll still be upgrading my graphics card in the near future, but I found a program that fixes the CPU problem. I have to start it up everytime I start the computer, but I've had no problems with it so far.

#24 ShadowSpawnOFCS

ShadowSpawnOFCS

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Computers, Woodworking

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

I'd heard a lot of even hardcore AMD fans are not happy with the latest generation. I'm glad I went Intel from what I've heard, though lucky I put off buying the Sandy Bridge motherboard just long enough to avoid the recalls they had to do for their chipset too. :}
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come. -- Matt Groening

#25 FishAssassin

FishAssassin

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

looking back at this, your graphics card is/was artifacting, which is usually caused by unstable clock speeds/trying to push the card past it's capabilities