24 replies to this topic

#1 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Yay for new computers! I just got a new one on Monday, and it doesn't want to work with me at all. So to all computer-savvy people on here, I've got a problem. On the new computer I got, a few games that I used to play all the time like to crash my computer. Space Marine will crash my computer as soon as I run it, The Witcher 2 will play fine for a while. Then, at random times, it will randomly have a black bar vertically on the screen at random location. Goes all the way, and eventually it'll crash the computer, the whole screen being brown vertical bars. The game is visible on both sides of the bar, and The right half of the game will be on the left and the left half of the game will be on the right of it. The Darkness 2 will crash during opening scenes as well. I post my computer's specs to you, I've tried and looked everywhere for an answer.

DOTA 2 and Team Fortress 2 run fine though. So I can't make heads or tails of it, here's my computer's specs.

Processor Information:
Vendor: AuthenticAMD
Speed: 3114 Mhz
8 logical processors
4 physical processors
HyperThreading: Supported
FCMOV: Supported
SSE2: Supported
SSE3: Supported
SSSE3: Supported
SSE4a: Supported
SSE41: Supported
SSE42: Unsupported

Network Information:
Network Speed:

Operating System Version:
Windows 7 (64 bit)
NTFS: Supported
Crypto Provider Codes: Supported 323 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
Driver: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

DirectX Driver Name: aticfx32.dll
Driver Version: 8.961.0.0
DirectX Driver Version: 8.17.10.1124
Driver Date: 5 Apr 2012
Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
DirectX Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
VendorID: 0x1002
DeviceID: 0x6739
Number of Monitors: 1
Number of Logical Video Cards: 1
No SLI or Crossfire Detected
Primary Display Resolution: 1600 x 900
Desktop Resolution: 1600 x 900
Primary Display Size: 22.20" x 12.52" (25.47" diag)
56.4cm x 31.8cm (64.7cm diag)
Primary Bus Type Not Detected
Primary VRAM: 1024 MB
Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x

Sound card:
Audio device: Speakers (VIA High Definition A

Memory:
RAM: 8175 Mb

Miscellaneous:
UI Language: English
Microphone: Not set
Media Type: DVD
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 953763 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 843920 Mb
OS Install Date: Dec 31 1969
Game Controller: None detected
‎"Listen to this, okay? Just listen. You hear that? That's market bacon hitting the pan. Today a child is born unto us, and his name will be bacon"

#2 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

And Dragon Age 2 has been working fine as well.
‎"Listen to this, okay? Just listen. You hear that? That's market bacon hitting the pan. Today a child is born unto us, and his name will be bacon"

#3 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

And yes, I updated any driver possible.

#4 jp~=TBH=~

jp~=TBH=~

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

you must have that virus called Windows
You can have my gun when you pry it from my paranoid, mentally disturbed, physically-abusive, cold, dead hand.

Facebook

#5 jp~=TBH=~

jp~=TBH=~

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

jokes over......are the games windows 7 compatable? if not try running in compatabilty mode

You can have my gun when you pry it from my paranoid, mentally disturbed, physically-abusive, cold, dead hand.

Facebook

#6 fudgeums

fudgeums

Captain

• Sponsors
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

hey, fish here, cuz i'm too lazy to login.

1. why was your operating system installed in 1969? tongue.gif
2. where did you get this thing from? as far as i can tell, it sounds like a graphics card issue. i would suggest double checking that everything is plugged in all the way in the computer and that the monitor isn't hooked up to the motherboard's onboard graphics slot as opposed to the graphics card itself.

if all else fails, reinstall windows.

also if you smell something melting or burning, you should maybe probably turn your computer off and figure out what that is. because that's problematic.

#7 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(jp~=TBH=~ @ May 16 2012, 10:37 PM) View Post
jokes over......are the games windows 7 compatable? if not try running in compatabilty mode

Yeah, they're all Windows 7 compatible. They've either came out last year or this year.

#8 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(fudgeums @ May 16 2012, 10:38 PM) View Post
hey, fish here, cuz i'm too lazy to login.

1. why was your operating system installed in 1969? tongue.gif
2. where did you get this thing from? as far as i can tell, it sounds like a graphics card issue. i would suggest double checking that everything is plugged in all the way in the computer and that the monitor isn't hooked up to the motherboard's onboard graphics slot as opposed to the graphics card itself.

if all else fails, reinstall windows.

also if you smell something melting or burning, you should maybe probably turn your computer off and figure out what that is. because that's problematic.

No, nothing is burning. Thing is ice-cold actually. And I have no ideal why it was installed in 1969. I've been trying to figure that out as well. And I got it from Newegg, it's an iBUYPOWER AZZA desktop. I've been talking with Stratn and with both came to the conclusion it's a graphics card issue since the problems only happen to particular games. The computer is actually pretty friggin' good any other time. I haven't double checked the innards to see if everything is plugged in the correct slot. Everything on the outside, all plugged in and fine. I'm not even 100% sure I'll know about the innards since I'm hardware retarded.

#9 BrikHaus

BrikHaus

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

Did your computer come with any preinstalled "helper" applications for your video card? For instance, mine came with the terrible ASUS GamerOSD software with the sole function of decreasing my framerates by about 50%. I recommend uninstalling anything like that first.

#10 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(BrikHaus @ May 16 2012, 11:06 PM) View Post
Did your computer come with any preinstalled "helper" applications for your video card? For instance, mine came with the terrible ASUS GamerOSD software with the sole function of decreasing my framerates by about 50%. I recommend uninstalling anything like that first.

I actually saw that post that you talked about that, and I got rid of some "Catalyst" helper program. Still crashing. Oh, and add Deus Ex: HR to the list of system crashing games.

#11 bear

bear

bear stealth mode enabled

• Sponsors
  • 771 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, IDPA, Multi-Gun, photography, computers, motorcycling.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Have you tried lower the graphics specs; res, AA, etc? First i would try re-installing the drivers. use driver sweeper to get rid of them and start fresh.

I have also seen some posts floating around about a bad 12.4 catalyst update. You might try rolling back to a previous version of the driver, like 12.3 catalyst. They did relese a 12.4a hotfix but that does not seem to have fixed all the problems.

Do you have another vid card you can try?
"Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean. Cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

#12 Xena

Xena

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Volleyball, reading, figure skating, playing TF2, Payday & BF3&4

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

Did you call tech support from where you got the computer from? It should be under warranty & they should walk you through these issues.

What the heck! This is a new computer, they should support and warranty it!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

Dr. Seuss

http://www.myspace.com/xenawarrior23

#13 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(bear @ May 18 2012, 05:42 PM) View Post
Have you tried lower the graphics specs; res, AA, etc? First i would try re-installing the drivers. use driver sweeper to get rid of them and start fresh.

I have also seen some posts floating around about a bad 12.4 catalyst update. You might try rolling back to a previous version of the driver, like 12.3 catalyst. They did relese a 12.4a hotfix but that does not seem to have fixed all the problems.

Do you have another vid card you can try?

Yeah, it's to 12.4. I've been reading all over it's been bad. And I can't even get into the program, so I can't even lower the settings lol. I know it's not that, I can run DA2 on max specs no problem. High res pack and all. I can't figure out how to roll it back, or if it does and I am doing it correctly, it still has the same problems. And how do I use driver sweeper, or is that a program I need to download.

@Xena. I'm stubborn as all hells.

#14 TheSmalHobbit

TheSmalHobbit

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Bear, I tried sweeping my drivers, and that completely messed up my computer, I had to system restore it. Most likely didn't know what I was doing XD

#15 FrankNFurter

FrankNFurter

WW2 Museum Curator

• Sponsors
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:Computers, and um games and um......computers and um did I say games?

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

That catalyst program you uninstalled the first time is for the radeon drivers. http://www.amd.com/u...s/catalyst.aspx