5 replies to this topic

#1 Magius

Magius

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

So a while back I did a reformat with the discs that came with my computer. Everything is working fine and dandy except for my microphone. I went through and updated all of my drivers and all of that jazz but for some reason steam doesn't like my microphone. Whenever I go through control panel and test it I get some crazy high pitched feedback and tons of echoing. I had a friend use my computer to call my house use Skype, which is an internet calling/phone program, and when I answered at home I heard him fine. I've updated my drivers and even tried googling it to see what might be wrong but I can't figure anything out. Anybody out there have any ideas what might be messing up?

Edited by Magius, 15 February 2009 - 08:06 PM.

Aim for the flat top!!

#2 BubbaHotep

BubbaHotep

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

you might have the playback volume all the way up. Check in WindowsVolume control, recording volume should be all the way up and playback volume should be all the way down. Also check the volume/recoding level in the game.

#3 itsmyfirstday!!

itsmyfirstday!!

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,679 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Harleys, whitewater rafting, drinking, nudie bars and dod:S

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(BubbaHotep @ Feb 15 2009, 09:06 PM) View Post
you might have the playback volume all the way up. Check in WindowsVolume control, recording volume should be all the way up and playback volume should be all the way down. Also check the volume/recoding level in the game.

What bubba said....let us know if that fixes it please,

fd

Intel I7 4770K 3.5 Overclocked to 4.4Ghz, Win 7 Pro, 2 Nvidia GTX 680 OC in SLI, 32gb 12800 DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Memory, Asus Z87 Motherboard, 2 x 1T 7200 Drives in Raid 0, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler,Sound Blaster Z PCIe Sound card, 3 x 23"monitors,Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply, Astro A50 Headphones and mic, Razer Blackwidow mechanical keyboard, Razer Deathadder mouse,SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)

#4 Magius

Magius

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

No luck I'm afraid. I opened my master volume control in windows and clicked the advanced settings and there are the titles of each sound "area". Master Volume, Wave, SW Synth, Line In 1 or 2, Front Pink In, Microphone, CD Player. Those are all of the sound options I have. I've tried playing with it to see what effects the mic and what doesn't and as of right now I have these sound settings MUTED...SW Synth, Line In 1 or 2, Front Pink In, Microphone, CD Player. All of those are muted and I still get crazy feedback and echos. I use steam to test my voice settings and when I click the assign push to talk button it just doesn't work. Pushing the button does nothing, when I set it up to auto detect my voice that is when I can hear the mic and my voice but I get crazy feedback and echoing. I've used device manager to check my Realtek HD Audio driver to make sure it is up to date and it says it is. So I'm flat out of ideas.
Aim for the flat top!!

#5 Magius

Magius

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

So here is something else I just discovered and find a bit interesting. My Realtek HD Audio "system" has its own volume control right next to the windows volume control by my clock. So I click on it and brought up its control panel. It has a record volume and a playback volume. So I turned my playback volume all the way down and put the record volume all the way up. I opened up steam and tested my mic, now before when I would test it the green to red color bar that shows your mic volume would spike all the way to red as soon as I said a word and it would stay there until I stopped testing the mic. So the feedback and echo was keeping the volume pegged. Well since I've made those changes in the RealTek HD audio control panel I tried to test it again. Now when I test it and I talk the green/red bar moves when I'm talking and as soon as I'm done it stops, so thats a good thing but now I can't hear a single thing in my head phone. So its like I've fixed the feedback problem but now I can't hear anything.
Aim for the flat top!!

#6 Magius

Magius

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

So 3rd update today! I messed around with some stuff and just hopped in a DoD server. I asked if people could hear me and one person said yes. So he was either saying yes in regards to somethign else or he actually heard me. I still however can't hear anything through my headphone speakers so I still have to have my computer speakers on. So tonight I'll have to hop into the FnF server and see if you guys can actually hear me.
Aim for the flat top!!