#16 rexx

rexx

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,143 posts
  • Interests:games,computers, and x-box ya u can say i have no life

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(MajorMalfunction @ Feb 1 2007, 06:58 PM) View Post
Dell owns Alienware. Don't be fooled, they are the same company.

i think my heart just ticked it's last tick =( WHY ALIENWARE WHY!!!!!
Ohh well, still would get thst over dell just because they weren't oringally Dell smile.gif lol

Good Luck on your rig dude =P

#17 DragonSmacker

DragonSmacker

First Lieutenant

• Banned
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:17 AM

Why all the dis on Dell? I've got one that is 5 years old and I never replaced anything in it until the HDD died (Seagate). I never used their tech support so maybe that's the deal. I dunno.

Anyway, on the the important stuff. Since you are getting a 680 and mention one BFG 8800, I would suggest a much bigger supply, such as 750w or larger. You are going to be using a lot of juice with multiple cards along with all your optical drives. More power is much easier to deal with than not enough.

As for the video card, eVGA has a great warranty. I would definitely look at them when you are ready to purchase. (Like this one: eVGA 8800 )

Definitely go with a full tower if it's in your budget. It just makes life easier in the long run when adding internals.

CPU - All I can say is WOW! I want one of those! I'll have to wait until they come down in price and can convince my wife I need to build a new comp. (This one is only a year old.)

And Major is exactly right - There is a lot of computer savvy folks on FNF that can help if you run into problems.

Keep us up to date on what you're doing. The **** geeks will live vicariously through you!!

PS. I resemble that remark. (The geek part anyway) w00t.gif
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD 4800+ (2.4GHz dual core, 2x1MB L2 cache) OC'd to 2.7
2GB Patriot 2-2-2-5
eVGA 7800GT 256MB OC'd to 531MHz core/1.2GHz memory @ 1.5V

#18 Bone

Bone

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(FrankNFurter @ Feb 1 2007, 08:03 PM) View Post
Get a separate power supply even if one comes with the case. Here is a list of Sli rated ones: http://www.slizone.c...d_powersupplies
BFG recommends a 400W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 26A or more; I'd get a 500 to 600 watt one at least. This will not be cheap, but you do not want to cut corners here.

My first build I got a cheap $20 case and 400w power supply combo. Pricewatch build. Installed windows started motocross madness 2 and computer quit after 5 mins. At the time I was thinking what did I get myself into. After a few days figured out it was the power supply and got a good one. I tried to get a new one, or refund from the flyby night pricewatch company and they basically told me to "go pound sand".

So what I am saying is listen to Frank don't skimp on the Power supply.

For what its worth on forums I regularly visit they have been saying to stay away from the 680i chip set. Lots of problems with data corruption and driver issues, and other things. Some things may be fixed with newer bios revisions and drivers, so take it for what its worth.

And I would recommend 2GB RAM
DOD:S Tweaks DOD:S Network Tweaks

Gaming Machine Specs:
Win 7 Ultimate x64; ASRock P67 Extreme4, bios: 1.60; Intel i7 2600K 44x100=4400Mhz, 1.304v; 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL, 9-9-9-24, 2T, 1.5v; EVGA 8800GTS 320MB; Samsung SATA 500GB; OCZ Powerstream 520W; Asus DRW-24B1ST

Server Specs:
Debian Etch: MythTV and File Server
DFI ultra Infinity NFII bios:6-19; 9.5x200 (1900MHz) Mobile XP 2500+; SI-97 w/ 80mm fan; 2x512MB (Rosewell,Geil), 2.5-4-4-4-11 1T @ 200MHz , 2.7v; VisionTek Xtasy Ti4600; pcHDTV HD-3000; Hauppauge PVR-250; Hauppauge PVR-150; Samsung SATA 500GB; Seagate SATA 160GB; Seagate PATA 200GB; Seagate PATA 160GB; APC Back-UPS BX900

#19 ECHO 4 DAVIS

ECHO 4 DAVIS

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING ,FISHING,

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

My tower is in route in a week or so cool.gif

The Lian Li v2000b with a window. man this is gettin expensive already and I have a long road ahead.

Attached Files

Photobucket

Soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them, they fight because they love what's behind them! " If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them"

http://www.myspace.com/echo4davis

#20 DragonSmacker

DragonSmacker

First Lieutenant

• Banned
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:46 PM

That is a sweet case. I wanted to get that one but couldn't find it in my budget. (I had to make allowances for beer money while I was building my comp!)
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD 4800+ (2.4GHz dual core, 2x1MB L2 cache) OC'd to 2.7
2GB Patriot 2-2-2-5
eVGA 7800GT 256MB OC'd to 531MHz core/1.2GHz memory @ 1.5V

#21 ECHO 4 DAVIS

ECHO 4 DAVIS

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:29 AM

The BEAST !!! has finally arrived. Man this thing is HUGE biggrin.gif about 2' tall x 2' deep x about 8" wide
room for 10 hard drives w00t.gif

Attached Files

Photobucket

Soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them, they fight because they love what's behind them! " If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them"

#22 Bat21

Bat21

General Admin

• Admin
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:34 AM

great case!

#23 itsmyfirstday!!

itsmyfirstday!!

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,679 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Harleys, whitewater rafting, drinking, nudie bars and dod:S

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:55 AM

Power supplies are the greatest source of heat in your box...on my next box I am planning to install the power supplies (yes I will use 2) in a seperate box, ground the boxes togeather.

biggrin.gif

fd
Intel I7 4770K 3.5 Overclocked to 4.4Ghz, Win 7 Pro, 2 Nvidia GTX 680 OC in SLI, 32gb 12800 DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Memory, Asus Z87 Motherboard, 2 x 1T 7200 Drives in Raid 0, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler,Sound Blaster Z PCIe Sound card, 3 x 23"monitors,Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply, Astro A50 Headphones and mic, Razer Blackwidow mechanical keyboard, Razer Deathadder mouse,SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)

#24 Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn

Captain

• Sponsors
  • 994 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general, and wargaming

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(ECHO 4 DAVIS @ Feb 1 2007, 09:39 PM) View Post
Thanks Major I'll keep you guy's in mind when I have everything and begin piecing it together. cool.gif Income tax return will pay for some and I'll have to crank out some overtime for the rest cry.gif

I like the diamond plate film .

http://www.mnpctech....semodstore.html

There is some pretty cool stuff in that link,post a picture of your machine when its done.
"Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem"
Ronald Reagan

#25 ECHO 4 DAVIS

ECHO 4 DAVIS

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 434 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(Ben Gunn @ Mar 14 2007, 05:25 PM) View Post
There is some pretty cool stuff in that link,post a picture of your machine when its done.

Mosy definitly devil.gif

here's another good link

http://www.performan...d...x&cPath=328
Photobucket

#26 ECHO 4 DAVIS

ECHO 4 DAVIS

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 434 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:08 PM

I decided to go with xp pro for the Chicago lan party, to scared to make the Vista leap yet blush.gif , As far as the rig goes win xp and my water cooling should get here sometime this week and next payday my ddr2 800 memory (2gb) and possibly another harddrive. Looking forward to meeting some of the FNF clan in person biggrin.gif .

here's the water cooling I had in mind

Attached Files

Photobucket

#27 Buzzard

Buzzard

Major

• Sponsors
  • 2,237 posts
  • Interests:Homemade Wine... that should say it all.

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(ECHO 4 DAVIS @ May 10 2007, 03:08 PM) View Post
Looking forward to meeting some of the FNF clan in person biggrin.gif .

Yea, and we'll be looking forward to meeting your computer in person too...

--Buzz

#28 ECHO 4 DAVIS

ECHO 4 DAVIS

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

One step closer to completion, man there's more involved in building a system than I realized especially when you've never done it before. I'm doin ok though whenever I get stuck I surf the web and work through it blush.gif , I finished my water cooling and tested for leaks yesterday (no leaks) cool.gif just waiting on memory and possibly another hard drive to set up in raid 0 and then it's game on!!! devil.gif

Attached Files

Photobucket

#29 itsmyfirstday!!

itsmyfirstday!!

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,679 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Harleys, whitewater rafting, drinking, nudie bars and dod:S

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:15 AM

Looking Great! Keep the pics coming

fd

Intel I7 4770K 3.5 Overclocked to 4.4Ghz, Win 7 Pro, 2 Nvidia GTX 680 OC in SLI, 32gb 12800 DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Memory, Asus Z87 Motherboard, 2 x 1T 7200 Drives in Raid 0, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler,Sound Blaster Z PCIe Sound card, 3 x 23"monitors,Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply, Astro A50 Headphones and mic, Razer Blackwidow mechanical keyboard, Razer Deathadder mouse,SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)

#30 Xena

Xena

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,718 posts
  • Interests:Volleyball, reading, figure skating, playing TF2, Payday & BF3&4

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(ECHO 4 DAVIS @ May 20 2007, 08:12 PM) View Post
One step closer to completion, man there's more involved in building a system than I realized especially when you've never done it before. I'm doin ok though whenever I get stuck I surf the web and work through it blush.gif , I finished my water cooling and tested for leaks yesterday (no leaks) cool.gif just waiting on memory and possibly another hard drive to set up in raid 0 and then it's game on!!! devil.gif

Ya know.....this will be all out of date by the time your done. blink.gif blink.gif
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

Dr. Seuss

http://www.myspace.com/xenawarrior23