33 replies to this topic

#1 ECHO 4 DAVIS

ECHO 4 DAVIS

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING ,FISHING,

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

My old machine is on it's last leg and I've been thinking about building my own rig. unsure.gif

Any tips from someone with experience in this area would be greatly appreciated. cool.gif
Photobucket

Soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them, they fight because they love what's behind them! " If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them"

http://www.myspace.com/echo4davis

#2 The Money $hot

The Money $hot

Major

• Sponsors
  • 2,061 posts
  • Interests:Mapper of dod_twin_rivers

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:31 PM

You may want to give us some clarification on "TIPS"

Fer example, have you ever built a computer before and are you comfortable with installing hardware and software.
I know thats a dumb question but give us some guidlines as to what questions you may have and we can provide better information, otherwise your gonna get a wide range of stuff that wont help you at all.

My 2 cents spelled out with $50.00 worth of words.

smile.gif
"BEER IS FOOD TOO!" money $hot

Bone " I think my new video card just left skid marks on your Twin Rivers map Money!"

#3 TommyTFC

TommyTFC

Sergeant

• Sponsors
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

Some guidelines would help. I build my own. It costs more than buying but you get want you want and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. It does take some time to get up to speed on the current technology.
Asus A8V Rev2 (1018.001), Toledo 3800+ (220 1.4v), Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2PT (2.5-3-3-7 1T 2.7v), ATI Radeon x800xl (AGP 1.6v), BenQ FP91G+, Plantronics .Audio 370

#4 rexx

rexx

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,143 posts
  • Interests:games,computers, and x-box ya u can say i have no life

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:47 PM

Forget building, buy an Alienware!!! =D worked Amazing until my dad shortcircuted it >< but i bet you will be more careful than him =P

#5 Bone

Bone

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

You will get more for your money if you build it yourself. Get an idea of a budget, what you want it to do, maybe even post up types of parts you are looking at ie. processors/vid cards/ram/motherboards, and I will put in my 2 cents.

Newegg.com will be very close to the best deals out there without hitting up some flyby night companies from pricewatch. Newegg shipping is amazingly fast, and customer support is good also.

Take a gander at this guide also: http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2910
Things are always changing, so it just gives you an idea of what could be had at the very second they published that article.
DOD:S Tweaks DOD:S Network Tweaks

Gaming Machine Specs:
Win 7 Ultimate x64; ASRock P67 Extreme4, bios: 1.60; Intel i7 2600K 44x100=4400Mhz, 1.304v; 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL, 9-9-9-24, 2T, 1.5v; EVGA 8800GTS 320MB; Samsung SATA 500GB; OCZ Powerstream 520W; Asus DRW-24B1ST

Server Specs:
Debian Etch: MythTV and File Server
DFI ultra Infinity NFII bios:6-19; 9.5x200 (1900MHz) Mobile XP 2500+; SI-97 w/ 80mm fan; 2x512MB (Rosewell,Geil), 2.5-4-4-4-11 1T @ 200MHz , 2.7v; VisionTek Xtasy Ti4600; pcHDTV HD-3000; Hauppauge PVR-250; Hauppauge PVR-150; Samsung SATA 500GB; Seagate SATA 160GB; Seagate PATA 200GB; Seagate PATA 160GB; APC Back-UPS BX900

#6 ECHO 4 DAVIS

ECHO 4 DAVIS

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

Sorry that was pretty vague, I want to keep it to $3,000 or less . I've never built one from the ground up but I have replaced hardware (power supplies,graphics,sound cards,harddrives etc...)

components I would like to have (wish list)

EVGA 680i SLI motherboard ATX socket 775

Intel core 2 extreme QX6700 2.66 ghz 8 MB cache 1066 MHZ FSB Quad Core

One BFG Geforce 8800 (one for now, things are pricey blush.gif )

One GB corsair DDR2 800

CASE ?

Power supply ?

I already have a couple optical drives I can slap in and harddrives are always on sale.

I've been reading a lot about building your own rig and I am up to the challenge. I want a rig that suites me not settling for what Dell or whoever has available. I realize I might have to compromise on some of the above to keep it close to my budget. Thanx ECHO 4 DAVIS , OUT !!!
Photobucket

Soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them, they fight because they love what's behind them! " If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them"

#7 rexx

rexx

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

PC Gamer has some articales about building rigs every year and down to the price and name of the hardware used, look on a newstand for it, don't know if it is still on sale though >.<

#8 ECHO 4 DAVIS

ECHO 4 DAVIS

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(rexx @ Feb 1 2007, 11:36 AM) View Post
PC Gamer has some articales about building rigs every year and down to the price and name of the hardware used, look on a newstand for it, don't know if it is still on sale though >.<

Ya maximum pc Feb 2007 is where I got the idea.
Photobucket

#9 itsmyfirstday!!

itsmyfirstday!!

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,679 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Harleys, whitewater rafting, drinking, nudie bars and dod:S

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

Here is what I am looking to upgrade to...

http://www.ee.ryerson.ca/~elf/abacus/

alienware is a excellent computer, but I find them overpriced, here is something a little more reasonable....

http://www.dell.com/...i...;l=en&s=dhs

this should do the trick

fd
Intel I7 4770K 3.5 Overclocked to 4.4Ghz, Win 7 Pro, 2 Nvidia GTX 680 OC in SLI, 32gb 12800 DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Memory, Asus Z87 Motherboard, 2 x 1T 7200 Drives in Raid 0, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler,Sound Blaster Z PCIe Sound card, 3 x 23"monitors,Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply, Astro A50 Headphones and mic, Razer Blackwidow mechanical keyboard, Razer Deathadder mouse,SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)

#10 rexx

rexx

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

having a Dell now still makes me want my Alienware back because.....

1) when ya use customer service for Alienware, ya don't get a guy in India or Mexico

2) my mom dropped it down the stairs (twice) an it had no problems at all because of the expenive case

3) could play HL2, DoD:S, and CS;S at the same time and not crash or have really really bad lag ( and that was 2 years ago =P)

4) and so on and so on and so on

#11 ECHO 4 DAVIS

ECHO 4 DAVIS

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:06 PM

check out this dudes rig blink.gif

Photobucket

#12 itsmyfirstday!!

itsmyfirstday!!

Major

• Sponsors
  • 1,679 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Harleys, whitewater rafting, drinking, nudie bars and dod:S

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(rexx @ Feb 1 2007, 03:41 PM) View Post
having a Dell now still makes me want my Alienware back because.....

1) when ya use customer service for Alienware, ya don't get a guy in India or Mexico

2) my mom dropped it down the stairs (twice) an it had no problems at all because of the expenive case

3) could play HL2, DoD:S, and CS;S at the same time and not crash or have really really bad lag ( and that was 2 years ago =P)

4) and so on and so on and so on

Whooooooooo I thought all dell support was based in the USA....thank you for correcting me....in that case I would pay the extra money to support the home team!!

GO ALIENWARE!!!

fd
Intel I7 4770K 3.5 Overclocked to 4.4Ghz, Win 7 Pro, 2 Nvidia GTX 680 OC in SLI, 32gb 12800 DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Memory, Asus Z87 Motherboard, 2 x 1T 7200 Drives in Raid 0, Corsair H100 CPU Cooler,Sound Blaster Z PCIe Sound card, 3 x 23"monitors,Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply, Astro A50 Headphones and mic, Razer Blackwidow mechanical keyboard, Razer Deathadder mouse,SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)

#13 MajorMalfunction

MajorMalfunction

Major Admin

• Admin
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

Dell owns Alienware. Don't be fooled, they are the same company.
http://www.alienware...ss032206_aw.asp

Now back to the subject at hand.

Building is much easier than you think. If you are patient and willing to learn, you can build your own. There are many of us in the FNF community who have built their own rigs. We're willing to help you if you get stuck or have any questions.

#14 FrankNFurter

FrankNFurter

WW2 Museum Curator

• Sponsors
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:Computers, and um games and um......computers and um did I say games?

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, if Money is getting $50, I'll do it for $40! Ahem, I prefer an aluminum full tower case, the weight really makes a difference over steel. Get a separate power supply even if one comes with the case. Here is a list of Sli rated ones: http://www.slizone.c...d_powersupplies
BFG recommends a 400W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 26A or more; I'd get a 500 to 600 watt one at least. This will not be cheap, but you do not want to cut corners here.

#15 ECHO 4 DAVIS

ECHO 4 DAVIS

First Lieutenant

• Sponsors
  • 434 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

Thanks Major I'll keep you guy's in mind when I have everything and begin piecing it together. cool.gif Income tax return will pay for some and I'll have to crank out some overtime for the rest cry.gif

I like the diamond plate film .

http://www.mnpctech....semodstore.html
Photobucket